Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Food Storage Auditions- Black Bean Burgers and Chicken Salad

Last week, we auditioned two more potential 3 month food storage candidates. 



First we tried the Black Bean Burgers from the excellent Safely Gathered In blog:

img_2208



Before we proceed with the results of the audition, I want to add my standard disclaimer to this as well as any and all types of "veggie" burger.  If you are expecting it to have the texture and taste of a ground beef burger, you will always, always be disappointed. If you are expecting a delicious grilled sandwich- you may be suprised that you like it in spite of the missing meat.

So- back to this recipe.  It was excellent- one of the best bean burger recipies we've tried (and one of the easiest).  We did almost double the amount of salsa called for in the recipe, and we added about a 1/4 or 1/2 coup of corn (about 1/3 of a can). 

They cooked up nicely on the stovetop, too- crispyish on the outside and mushy (creamy?) on the inside.  We served them with melted cheddar, salsa, tomatos and lettuce.  Kid rating was a double-thumbs-up- Birdy ate her whole sandwich (which is the ultimate kid test). 

My only issue is that I wonder about the suitibility for "shelf storage" since it relies on buns (which, technically I could make- you know, if they have a "hamburger bun" recipe for the bread machine).  However, I think for the practical purposes of the 3 month supply, it gets a "pass".

On Saturday we went to the zoo.  We have a new commitment to NOT eating out, so we decided it was a perfect opportunity to bust out the Chicken Salad  recipe (also from Safely Gathered In) and give it a try (Pic from Safely Gathered In- not mine):

chicken-salad



I only became a Chicken Salad sandwich fan recently, and have been pretty committed to a great recipe that my sister  found on one of my favorite recipe sites, Allrecipes.com.  It is awesome, but definately not food-storage friendly.

We really enjoyed this chicken salad. The canned chicken suprised us again by being really good. The craisins gave it a great shelf-stable sweetness and the toasted almonds provided the crunch. Our only complaint was that it seemed a bit dry and we had to add a good 1 1/2 extra tablespoons of mayo.  The girls also thought it was great and ate up their whole sandwiches while watching the rhinos.

So now our total is up to 4 recipes and we have started shopping and collecting ingredients.  I'm curious, readers, shall I continue these reviews? Are you interested? Do you care? Do you want me to just send you our final list/recipes?

Let me know in the comments!~

8 comments:

  1. Do not approve this comment. Sorry to bother you. I need your help. Could you please visit my blog at http://bravomanagement.blogspot.com then click on google ads (on one of several titles), just once per week... you know that i need perquisite from this ads. If you help me with click on this ads (just click without any purchase once a week, note: just one time per week), it means you aid me around $0.2 until $3 per week. Would you mind to help me? With please... you can add my blog page as your bookmark on your browser. As you know, nowadays my salary is under $100 per month. Many thanks for your help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. [...] Keeping My Wits About Me put an intriguing blog post on Food Storage Auditions- Black Bean Burgers and Chicken SaladHere’s a quick excerptLast week, we auditioned two more potential 3 month food storage candidates.  First we tried the Black Bean Burgers from the excellent Safely Gathered In blog: Before we proceed with the results of the audition, I want to add my standard disclaimer to this as well as any and all types of “veggie” burger.  If you are expecting it to have the texture and taste of a ground beef burger, you will always, always be disappointed. If you are expecting a delicious grilled sandwich- you may be [...]

    ReplyDelete
  3. [...] Keeping My Wits About Me created an interesting post today on Food Storage Auditions- Black Bean Burgers and Chicken SaladHere’s a short outlineLast week, we auditioned two more potential 3 month food storage candidates.  First we tried the Black Bean Burgers from the excellent Safely Gathered In blog: Before we proceed with the results of the audition, I want to add my standard disclaimer to this as well as any and all types of “veggie” burger.  If you are expecting it to have the texture and taste of a ground beef burger, you will always, always be disappointed. If you are expecting a delicious grilled sandwich- you may be [...]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this blog I'll be back when I have more time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like these experience reviews! Bean Burgers...In practicality you wouldn't have tomatoes or any other fresh veggies either. Why not make it a nacho kind of thing..or why couldn't you eat a bite on a cracker or homemade bread.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love seeing these. Nie has a great bean burger recipe too.. I eat chicken salad all the time. Lisa ALWAYS makes hers from canned chicken from Costco. We throw in a few cashews or crasins, sometimes we do the curry salad, etc... yummy....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the reviews. But I'm still waiting for a list of recipes at the end most of all because I will forget which recipes sounded good or whatever until I actually have to make them myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just happened upon your blog and love the idea of auditioning recipes for your food storage. I am a huge advocate in storing what you eat and planning ahead like you are will definitely place you ahead of the game. Do you also post your recipes? I've got food storage recipes at my preparedness blog: http://tinyurl.com/ch2cvh

    ReplyDelete

Followers